The Yemeni administration reports that the cargo ship Rubymar, which was earlier attacked by the Houthis, has sunk

The internationally recognized government of Yemen claims that the cargo ship Rubymar, which was sunk after being attacked by Houthi militants last month and abandoned in the southern Red Sea, has sunk. The Yemeni government’s crisis cell handling the situation said in a statement on Saturday that “the MV Rubymar sank last night, coinciding with weather factors and strong winds at sea.”

 

The incident was confirmed by a military official, who talked to the Associated Press under the condition of anonymity because they were not granted permission to speak with press. According to AP, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations Centre (UKMTO), which monitors Middle Eastern waterways, also confirmed the Rubymar’s sinking in a separate statement. On February 18, while traversing the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, the Rubymar, a cargo ship owned by the United Kingdom and flying the flag of Belize, was struck by missiles. The ship was carrying combustible fertilisers. After abandoning the ship, the crew made their way to safety. The incident was attributed to the Houthis of Yemen, who allege they have been attacking ships associated with the US, the UK, and Israel in an effort to put pressure on them to stop Israel’s war on Gaza.

 

The first ship to go down since the Houthis, who are supported by Iran, started attacking commercial vessels in November is the Rubymar. The president of the Houthi supreme revolutionary committee, Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, stated that because of their backing for the “genocide” and “siege” in Gaza, the organization blamed British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and his administration for the ship’s drowning. He said, “Sunak has a chance to recover the Rubymar by allowing aid trucks into Gaza,” in a late-Saturday post on the social networking network X.

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*